Celebrating the Death of a Terrorist

Everyone knows and is talking about the death of Osama Bin Laden. This is a huge world event that has an affect on countless millions. I am sure this will be talked about for decades to come.
There seems to be a common topic that is being discussed. Is it right to celebrate the death of a terrorist? A lot say yes but I am suprised at how many are saying no. They are saying no because regardless of what he was, he was still a human and death should not be celebrated.
I don't agree with that and for those saying that, I think they are not realizing a few things. As I stated in a Facebook comment to a status of one my friends, the actual death of Osama is not what is being celebrated. People aren't so much rejoicing because his heart is no longer beating, but more because of other issues and feelings that the man brought about being alive.
Some are celebrating not the death of the terrorist so much but more the accomplishment of the military troops. The military has been fighting for ten years and have constantly been reminded that an objective with all fighting entailed is to catch and bring to justice Osama Bin Laden. That is constantly reminded to the troops overseas who are fighting the war. That goal has finally been reached. Ten years of fighting, lives lost, money spent, but the goal has finally be accomplished. So many are celebrating the death of Osama more out of celebration, pride and support for the troops. Ten years and the military is still strapping up their boots and taking action where need be with 100% of their effort as they did the day the war started. That is worth celebrating, their refusale to give up and to keep doing what is necessary everyday to make this world safer and protect our country. That is one reason I think celebration is happening.
For others, its a celebration of justice. Because of Osama, 3000+ people lost their lives on 9/11. For some people, his death brings justice for those innocent lives. You may agree or not but it doesn't change the fact that that is how some people are dealing with it. So when they are celebrating Osama being dead, it's not so much his actual death but more the justice they feel for the 3000+ lives that were lost on 9/11, the countless number of our troops killed in the wars, etc. For them, it's the beginning to start moving on because they feel like some sort of justice has been delivered and they can let it go now.
Others I think are celebrating because with Osama dead, they feel safer. It has been a long time since the USA has been directly attacked on our land. Lets face it, every single one of us felt vulnerable after that. Before, many tried but never succeeded. This man did and it scared us and made us feel unsafe. Just as one might feel having their house broken into. Until the thief is aprehended, they never feel safe in their own home again, regardless of the security systems, cameras, etc that get installed shortly after. Our country needed the same thing because despite the increase in military, homeland security, etc we didn't feel safe because Osama was still on the loose. We needed the master mind who successfully attacked our country to be aprehended so we could feel safe and not worry if he would attack again. So I think many are celebrating that relief, the relief that the only one who has successfully attacked, in a long time, on our own soil will be able to harm us no more.
Lastly, like others have been saying, I think the younger adults are celebrating the end of "the monster in the closet". Kids are taught about evil and after 9/11 they had a face and scenario to go with the picture. They were taught that he is on the loose and if not caught, he would do more evil. They grew up with that fear and went through middle school and high school studying and learning about the event and that evil man. Yet now, after ten years of learning and fearing, he has been brought to an end. That face that represented evil has been erased. There is no more monster in the closet or under the bed. That is what I believe the younger adults are celebrating more than just the death of Osama Bin Laden. Celebrating that face of evil that they have grown up studying is finally erased.
Me, I see nothing wrong with the celebration. Each has their own reason and when looked at more, each is celebrating for a much bigger reason and feeling than just a death of a human. Because of that I am ok with the celebrating and honestly have done some of own for my own reasons. I have been in combat in Afghanistan and have a few issues regarding that. Him being killed makes me feel in a way that what I deal with today and probably the rest of my life isn't in vain, as it in a small way helped us reach this point. I also feel like the five memorial services I went to for fallen soldiers at the Forward Operating Base I was at wasn't in vain as they did more than their part in helping us get to this point. So I have done a little of my own celebrating and have even shed a few tears of relief as it strikes a few chords that other military members can relate to.
For those who don't agree death should be celebrated, try to realize that the death is not what is really being celebrated. Its not the death of a man but rather much deeper and profound feelings and ideology. Try to understand that, and maybe then it won't seem so offensive.
To those who directly lost loved ones on 9/11 and in the wars, you are right. This mans death is not going to bring your loved ones back. Please know that we don't know your pain because we are not in your shoes but we understand. We understand the hole in your hearts that will be there forever and our hearts are with you every single day. Please understand that when we are celebrating, we are not forgetting that fact and not forgetting your stance or feelings or thinking this will erase all your pain. I ask you too, to also please try to understand that there are deeper and more profound feelings and ideologies being celebrated than just the mans death and that is what is truely being celebrated.
My heart goes out to those who lost a loved one on 9/11 or the war and we will never forget them. History books will never let them be forgotten.
I hope maybe this helps someone who has been offended by the celebrating to maybe understand a little better what is really going on so that you may not be so offended. I am proud of our country, proud of our troops and am happy this man has been brought to an end. I don't see anything wrong will celebrating but I will also say to those who are celebrating, keep in mind the company you are around and celebrate with taste. Be sensitive to those who may not share your thoughts and feelings. If given the chance, try to explain why exactly it is you are celebrating so that those around won't think you are shallow and heartless to be celebrating just a death. Explain so they can understand there is more to it.
This has been a big accomplishment and I thank all the men and women who have served relentlessly to make this happen over the last ten years. Thank you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Been a While!!

My Dog's a Tattle-Tale!

I am Back With What Men Think....