How My Dog Helps Me!!!
Ok, so it has been a while since my last post. For that I apologize. Life has been a little hectic these last couple of months and I have had my hands full with quite a bit. However, I have a little down time right now and figured I would start getting back with my blog.
I have been thinking about this for a while and think this is something that others who might have some sort of similar issues, might want to look into.
For half of 2008, I was deployed to Afghanistan. During that time I drove a Humvee that was part of a convoy. During the trip we experienced a pretty heavy ambush. There were a few times during that ambush I thought for sure my number was up and I was going to meet my Maker. Thankfully, I did not and how we all made it out alive with minor injuries only, I still can't explain. That experience, along with a few others, has affected me. One thing it did is cause me to suffer now from hightened anxiety disorder. I also have nightmares on a regular basis and restlessness. I am on medication that helps calm me done, helps me sleep and stay asleep and most importantly keeps me from remembering most of my dreams. For the most part, I have learned how to carry on with life and push past the different issues I have when they arise.
One thing though is that I still dred sleeping. Even though the medications I am on knock me out, keep me asleep and the majority of the time keep me from remembering dreams, I do ocassionally remember some dreams and when that happens it usually affects the rest of my day. Its frustrating as I have my ups and downs and get tired of feeling this way. I want to be able to sleep on my own and not dred going to bed every night wondering if this night is going to be a good one or not. Wondering if that night am I going to wake my wife up yelling or fighting in my sleep. My wife has enough medical issues herself and needs all the rest she can get. When I affect her ability to rest, which in turns affects how she feels that day, it frustrates me as I don't want to feel like a burden to my family. Its not their fault I went through it, they weren't even part of it, yet not only has this affected me (and probably will for the rest of my life), my family suffers here and there from it too, and that REALLY frustrates me.
I am sure with two wars going on, there are alot out there like me, and tons more who are even worse than me. To those of you out there who that applies to, think about what I am about to say.
In previous posts I have mentioned that we have a pure bred Yorkie. He is not big, nor is he exactly something we would really on for protection. He is only ten pounds but he sure is a daddy's boy. I have over the last couple of years, have greatly appreciated him and he has slowly but surely won my heart over as he has probably helped me more than anything else. Here is how.
I am on pills to help with my anxiety but sometimes, especially after getting spooked, I will remain tense for sometime. For some reason having him crawl up in my lap or lay next to me calms me down. When he is clean and allowed up in the bed with us, he immediately heads to my side of the bed and curls up next to my stomach. These nights that he does that, are the nights I am most relaxed and the nights I don't have nightmares. I have no idea why that is. Maybe because I feel like I have to protect him that I put everything to the side and am able to relax. Or more possibly, for some reason, he helps me feel protected. Having him curled against my stomach helps me keep from feeling alone and if anything happens I know he is going to alert me. Maybe that is why I feel better when he is with me, he helps me feel protected despite only being ten pounds.
Whatever the reason, the fact still remains. I can be tense as hell and on edge, but as soon as he is with me, I calm down. Having him next to me helps me sleep better and when I know he will be sleeping with me, I don't dred sleeping as I know it will be a good night. Guess that might be another reason I sometimes wait for my wife to fall asleep and then sneak him in bed with me, even though he needs a bath. :)
Maybe the military should look into this and promote this idea for those of us military personnel who have issues such as this. If you are someone like me, I highly recommend that you at least think about this. Think about getting a pet. Doesn't have to be a small dog, could be any dog you like. Their company might help you more than you think. There is a reason they are called "mans best friend". If you are not a dog lover and prefer cats, get a cat. Either way, at least think of getting some pet that will keep you company. It might sound rediculous but you might find it more helpful than any therapy or medication out there.
It definitely won't fix the issues, but at the very least it might offer some relaxed sleep here and there, since that is probably what we crave more than anything else.... one relaxed and restful nights sleep here and there.
I have been thinking about this for a while and think this is something that others who might have some sort of similar issues, might want to look into.
For half of 2008, I was deployed to Afghanistan. During that time I drove a Humvee that was part of a convoy. During the trip we experienced a pretty heavy ambush. There were a few times during that ambush I thought for sure my number was up and I was going to meet my Maker. Thankfully, I did not and how we all made it out alive with minor injuries only, I still can't explain. That experience, along with a few others, has affected me. One thing it did is cause me to suffer now from hightened anxiety disorder. I also have nightmares on a regular basis and restlessness. I am on medication that helps calm me done, helps me sleep and stay asleep and most importantly keeps me from remembering most of my dreams. For the most part, I have learned how to carry on with life and push past the different issues I have when they arise.
One thing though is that I still dred sleeping. Even though the medications I am on knock me out, keep me asleep and the majority of the time keep me from remembering dreams, I do ocassionally remember some dreams and when that happens it usually affects the rest of my day. Its frustrating as I have my ups and downs and get tired of feeling this way. I want to be able to sleep on my own and not dred going to bed every night wondering if this night is going to be a good one or not. Wondering if that night am I going to wake my wife up yelling or fighting in my sleep. My wife has enough medical issues herself and needs all the rest she can get. When I affect her ability to rest, which in turns affects how she feels that day, it frustrates me as I don't want to feel like a burden to my family. Its not their fault I went through it, they weren't even part of it, yet not only has this affected me (and probably will for the rest of my life), my family suffers here and there from it too, and that REALLY frustrates me.
I am sure with two wars going on, there are alot out there like me, and tons more who are even worse than me. To those of you out there who that applies to, think about what I am about to say.
In previous posts I have mentioned that we have a pure bred Yorkie. He is not big, nor is he exactly something we would really on for protection. He is only ten pounds but he sure is a daddy's boy. I have over the last couple of years, have greatly appreciated him and he has slowly but surely won my heart over as he has probably helped me more than anything else. Here is how.
I am on pills to help with my anxiety but sometimes, especially after getting spooked, I will remain tense for sometime. For some reason having him crawl up in my lap or lay next to me calms me down. When he is clean and allowed up in the bed with us, he immediately heads to my side of the bed and curls up next to my stomach. These nights that he does that, are the nights I am most relaxed and the nights I don't have nightmares. I have no idea why that is. Maybe because I feel like I have to protect him that I put everything to the side and am able to relax. Or more possibly, for some reason, he helps me feel protected. Having him curled against my stomach helps me keep from feeling alone and if anything happens I know he is going to alert me. Maybe that is why I feel better when he is with me, he helps me feel protected despite only being ten pounds.
Whatever the reason, the fact still remains. I can be tense as hell and on edge, but as soon as he is with me, I calm down. Having him next to me helps me sleep better and when I know he will be sleeping with me, I don't dred sleeping as I know it will be a good night. Guess that might be another reason I sometimes wait for my wife to fall asleep and then sneak him in bed with me, even though he needs a bath. :)
Maybe the military should look into this and promote this idea for those of us military personnel who have issues such as this. If you are someone like me, I highly recommend that you at least think about this. Think about getting a pet. Doesn't have to be a small dog, could be any dog you like. Their company might help you more than you think. There is a reason they are called "mans best friend". If you are not a dog lover and prefer cats, get a cat. Either way, at least think of getting some pet that will keep you company. It might sound rediculous but you might find it more helpful than any therapy or medication out there.
It definitely won't fix the issues, but at the very least it might offer some relaxed sleep here and there, since that is probably what we crave more than anything else.... one relaxed and restful nights sleep here and there.
Comments
Post a Comment