Strep Throat
So it has been a while since I have made a post last. This is due to me coming down with a pretty bad case of Strep Throat. It knocked me on my backside and kept in bed for five days. Today I am feeling a little better but throat is still hurting me some. I almost never get sick, but when I do get sick....step back because it is going to be one hell of a ride.
I hate being sick, but I think me getting sick at this time was a good thing. I have been running on fumes for a long time now. Between working full time, taking care of wife with medical issues, taking care of my son, the house, finishing a degree...needless to say I have been burnt out for a very long time. Getting this sick and causing me to do nothing but be in bed relaxing and resting is something I definitely needed.
While resting in bed and thinking about how I got that sick I realized that I am the reason I got that sick. I have been pushing my body so hard for so long, that it gave it out in a sense. My bodies defenses were weakened that any sickness could attack and I did not have energy to fight it. Strep Throat found me first and had a hay day with me. To help me overcome it, I had to have a penicillin shot if that tells you the severity.
It was not any fun and the pain I was in, I don't want again. Yet, again, it was my fault. You can push your body only so much without taking care of it before you will suffer consequences for it. That was my consequence. Sure if I had rested more and taken care of me more over the last year, I probably still would have gotten sick but not near as sick as I did. For five days I was layed up and could not only not take care of my wife and son, but couldn't even take care of myself. My body needed rest and it got it but at much discomfort to myself.
For five days I have been thinking about how I have been pushing myself and how I have not been taking care of me when I should have because I was too busy putting everyone else first. I am not saying I was wrong in doing that, I love my family very much and will always put them first, but I realized that despite what might be going on I need to sometimes put everything else aside and take a little time for me. Take a little time to rest, relax, do something I enjoy, etc. Our bodies need that time to relax and rest so that when the hard things in life come, it has the energy and strength needed to fight it or go through it.
So that is what I am going to start trying to do more. Still put my family first, as a husband and father should, but take more time to take care of myself as well.
If you are someone like me, I challenge you to do the same thing. Its ok to be "selfish" every once in a while. Its ok to take a few hours here and there to do what you want or to rest or relax. If you don't take care of yourself, eventually you aren't going to be able to take care of anyone because your body will get the rest it needs one way or another. Take care of yourself first so that you are healthy and strong enough to take care of others.
I hate being sick, but I think me getting sick at this time was a good thing. I have been running on fumes for a long time now. Between working full time, taking care of wife with medical issues, taking care of my son, the house, finishing a degree...needless to say I have been burnt out for a very long time. Getting this sick and causing me to do nothing but be in bed relaxing and resting is something I definitely needed.
While resting in bed and thinking about how I got that sick I realized that I am the reason I got that sick. I have been pushing my body so hard for so long, that it gave it out in a sense. My bodies defenses were weakened that any sickness could attack and I did not have energy to fight it. Strep Throat found me first and had a hay day with me. To help me overcome it, I had to have a penicillin shot if that tells you the severity.
It was not any fun and the pain I was in, I don't want again. Yet, again, it was my fault. You can push your body only so much without taking care of it before you will suffer consequences for it. That was my consequence. Sure if I had rested more and taken care of me more over the last year, I probably still would have gotten sick but not near as sick as I did. For five days I was layed up and could not only not take care of my wife and son, but couldn't even take care of myself. My body needed rest and it got it but at much discomfort to myself.
For five days I have been thinking about how I have been pushing myself and how I have not been taking care of me when I should have because I was too busy putting everyone else first. I am not saying I was wrong in doing that, I love my family very much and will always put them first, but I realized that despite what might be going on I need to sometimes put everything else aside and take a little time for me. Take a little time to rest, relax, do something I enjoy, etc. Our bodies need that time to relax and rest so that when the hard things in life come, it has the energy and strength needed to fight it or go through it.
So that is what I am going to start trying to do more. Still put my family first, as a husband and father should, but take more time to take care of myself as well.
If you are someone like me, I challenge you to do the same thing. Its ok to be "selfish" every once in a while. Its ok to take a few hours here and there to do what you want or to rest or relax. If you don't take care of yourself, eventually you aren't going to be able to take care of anyone because your body will get the rest it needs one way or another. Take care of yourself first so that you are healthy and strong enough to take care of others.
Comments
Post a Comment