Tech Savvy
Wasn't sure what I was going to post today until someone called me a computer geek. Now I got something...
Ok, my profession is working on networks and global communication lines. I install, maintain and troubleshoot them. My degree is in, as stated in a previous post, Information Technology Management. I love my job and could not see myself working in any other proffession. I decided to get a degree in the management area of my carreer field because I don't want to be a grunt worker all my life and would like to get in the management/leadership realm eventually, if not the near future.
Now, when people ask me what I do and I give them the brief explanation of what I do, I think all they hear is "networks" and they respond almost everytime with "oh, you are a computer geek". No, I am not a computer geek and I will explain why.
Computer geeks are often thought of as those who are constantly working on computers, writing computer programs, and a party for them consists of building a computer with friends. If given the choice to go out and have a beer or work on a computer, they would prefer working on a computer. (Now there are always exception to the rule and if you are one of them...cool. My friend Viglione is one of the exceptions but who I would classify as something else which I will get to.) They typically are very intelligent and therefore sometimes lack in some social skills. Computer geeks can sometimes fall into the realm of "gamers". Gamers are those who primarily think of getting home to play World of Warcraft instead of thinking of spending "quality" time with the opposite gender. They spend more time playing video games than anything else.
Now me, I do enjoy computers and other technological gadgets. I am fansinated by the technological advancements that are constantly taking place and do enjoy the benefits and "fun" that these gadgets offer. I always like having the latest gadgets and experiencing what they have to offer. I can work on computers and fix most problems. For the problems I don't know about, give me enough time and I will figure it out. I am also intelligent as one has to have some kind of brain power to succeed at my job, but not to the point that social skills are hindered. However, I do have a life. I have a family and I do have friends. I like spending time with my family and interacting with them in ways that do not revolve around gadgets. If given the choice between playing a video game or having a beer with a friend, I am going to choose the beer with a friend. I like socializing and having a life and experiencing what life has to offer in the world. I want memories of activities, not who I beat in a video game.
Being that I do have a passion for technology, computers, etc. but still have a life outside of those of those things, I want to begin a trend that associates the "computer geeks" like me as something else. I prefer Tech Savvy. Tech being for technology and savvy being experienced and well informed. This has a lot less duragatory meaning and could be appreciated by people like me. For those of us that enjoy computers and technology but also have a life outside of that realm....tech savvy. That is what I am, not a computer geek, I am tech savvy.
So the next time you run into someone like me, don't ask if they are a computer geek...ask if they are tech savvy and you will find they will be a lot less annoyed. I would like to get that trend and category started....
Ok, my profession is working on networks and global communication lines. I install, maintain and troubleshoot them. My degree is in, as stated in a previous post, Information Technology Management. I love my job and could not see myself working in any other proffession. I decided to get a degree in the management area of my carreer field because I don't want to be a grunt worker all my life and would like to get in the management/leadership realm eventually, if not the near future.
Now, when people ask me what I do and I give them the brief explanation of what I do, I think all they hear is "networks" and they respond almost everytime with "oh, you are a computer geek". No, I am not a computer geek and I will explain why.
Computer geeks are often thought of as those who are constantly working on computers, writing computer programs, and a party for them consists of building a computer with friends. If given the choice to go out and have a beer or work on a computer, they would prefer working on a computer. (Now there are always exception to the rule and if you are one of them...cool. My friend Viglione is one of the exceptions but who I would classify as something else which I will get to.) They typically are very intelligent and therefore sometimes lack in some social skills. Computer geeks can sometimes fall into the realm of "gamers". Gamers are those who primarily think of getting home to play World of Warcraft instead of thinking of spending "quality" time with the opposite gender. They spend more time playing video games than anything else.
Now me, I do enjoy computers and other technological gadgets. I am fansinated by the technological advancements that are constantly taking place and do enjoy the benefits and "fun" that these gadgets offer. I always like having the latest gadgets and experiencing what they have to offer. I can work on computers and fix most problems. For the problems I don't know about, give me enough time and I will figure it out. I am also intelligent as one has to have some kind of brain power to succeed at my job, but not to the point that social skills are hindered. However, I do have a life. I have a family and I do have friends. I like spending time with my family and interacting with them in ways that do not revolve around gadgets. If given the choice between playing a video game or having a beer with a friend, I am going to choose the beer with a friend. I like socializing and having a life and experiencing what life has to offer in the world. I want memories of activities, not who I beat in a video game.
Being that I do have a passion for technology, computers, etc. but still have a life outside of those of those things, I want to begin a trend that associates the "computer geeks" like me as something else. I prefer Tech Savvy. Tech being for technology and savvy being experienced and well informed. This has a lot less duragatory meaning and could be appreciated by people like me. For those of us that enjoy computers and technology but also have a life outside of that realm....tech savvy. That is what I am, not a computer geek, I am tech savvy.
So the next time you run into someone like me, don't ask if they are a computer geek...ask if they are tech savvy and you will find they will be a lot less annoyed. I would like to get that trend and category started....
Comments
Post a Comment