If I Could Go Back and Change......

I was walking through the hall at work today and over heard one student tell another student, "If I could go back and change....". I could not hear the rest of what he said as I got out of ear range and had to get back to my class but that immediately got my brain churning. I started wondering what people would say if I asked them, "If you could go back in time and change one thing in your life, what would it be?" I would never ask my wife this as she asks me all too many times to remind her why she married me. Now poor, innocent, and angelic me would never provoke this comment from her.....ok, so maybe I deserve that comment from her occasionally after some good teasing. But I wondered what people would say. Then I got to thinking about how I would answer that question. What in my past, if given the opportunity, would I change? This caused me to think through my life thus far.
I got thinking through my memories, thinking of all the good and bad things that have happened. Now like everyone else, I would never change any of the good things so I moved on to the more difficult aspects of my life. The things in my life that I have experienced or that have happened to me that have caused me emotional pain. The things you think about that just make your stomach cringe hoping you never have to experience those things again. The difficult times in life that we sometimes look back on and think to our selves, "was that really necessary for me to go through?". I started thinking about all those things and tried figuring out which one I would change if given the opportunity.
The more I thought the more I realized.....I wouldn't change a single one. If I had to do it over, I would go through each one again. Why is that? Because no matter how painful some experiences were, no matter how frustrating or stressful others were, each one has had its part in making me who I am today. We all love the good times in life, but who appreciates the hard times? Thinking about it made me realize that I do appreciate even the hard times and low times in my life. Did I like the pain, stress, frustration, etc. that each one gave me? Hell no! But thinking about it made me realize that I appreciate them because they have helped mold me into who I am today and I like who I am. I appreciate who I have become and am happy with who I have become. So I therefore appreciate even the hard and low times in my life.
What would I change in my past if I had the opportunity? (Besides maybe a few different lottery numbers) Not a single thing, not one single event or experience because it has helped make me who I am today. If I got a do over....I would do everything the exact same way, good and bad, because I appreciate how each one has molded me into who I am today.
Now I ask you.....would you still change anything if given the opportunity?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Been a While!!

My Dog's a Tattle-Tale!

I am Back With What Men Think....